Useful contacts

Specific email and telephone contacts are listed under each regulatory area and via council website links and also in the downloadable Business Start up Brochure.

For other queries on business advice, please contact the Growth Hub.

National reference links:

  • Environment Agency — how to apply for permits and licenses. Includes a list of registered waste carriers, information on waste, hazardous substances, waste packaging.
  • Food Standards Agency — information on food hygiene rating scheme. Food safety and hygiene publications. Safer Food Better Business (SFBB) packs.
  • Gambling Commission — publications, guidance and advice for gambling sectors on licensing, compliance and enforcement.
  • Health and Safety Executive — information and guidance for all industries and sectors including self-employed. Topics include risk, asbestos, accidents and ill health, slips and trips, working at height and personal protective equipment.
  • Illicit Tobacco — this site is for stakeholders involved in tackling the trade in illegal tobacco products as part of comprehensive strategies to reduce smoking.
  • Licensing — guidance on applications and licensing authorities, alcohol and entertainment. The Licensing Act 2003 and Gambling Act 2005.
  • Better Regulation Delivery Office — regulators’ code and details of the ‘Primary Authority’ scheme.
  • Underage Sales — for outlets selling tobacco and alcohol, obtain a “No ID No Sale” pack FOC by sending an email.
  • NETREGS Guidance by business sector — sectors from agriculture, construction, manufacturing, forestry, healthcare, hospitality, leisure, pest control, retail, transport, etc. Includes guidance on environmental issues, how to comply with the law and money saving ideas.
  • Planning Inspectorate — dealing with national infrastructure, large-scale projects, planning appeals, etc.
  • Department for Communities and Local Government — information on planning, building and the environment, regeneration and economic growth, as well as freedom of information.
  • Trading standards law explained — providing information for businesses and individuals that need to know about trading standards and consumer protection legislation.
  • DEFRA — Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs.

Pensions Regulator calling all businesses!

The law on workplace pensions has changed. Under the Pensions Act 2008, every employer in the UK must put certain staff into a pension scheme and contribute towards it. This is called ‘automatic enrolment’. Whatever your business type, if you employ at least one person you are an employer and you have certain legal duties. Visit this link:

540 x 216 TPR logo

Business start-up pack

Kent and Medway business guide to regulationKent and Medway business start-up pack — all you need to know for starting up or expanding a your business in Kent and Medway.

(Special thanks to Maxine Aldred and Leicester & Leicestershire Economic Partnership (LLEP) for sharing their idea and to Diane Croucher from Dover BC for co-ordinating and delivering the Kent and Medway copy)


Case studies

  1. A harrowing experience at the Harrow Inn — NEW!
  2. Williams and Thomas Tearoom — NEW!
  3. Harley Owners Group (HOG®) — NEW!
  4. Illegal tobacco
  5. Biddenden Vineyards
  6. Winterdale Shaw
  7. (your business could feature here)
  8. (your service support to a business could feature here)

Thinking of placing tables, chairs or temporary street furniture on the highway?

You will need to apply for a licence with Kent County Council Highways, Transportation & Waste (except in the Dover district where you need to apply to Dover District Council directly for a licence). Planning permission may be required and you are advised to check with your local Borough/District Council planning authority for further information. Download an application pack from Kent County Council website.

For further information on permission and licences for the Medway area please contact Medway Council’s Traffic Management Team via email on